Saturday 25 September 2010

Cut and Paste with real scissors

Next Sunday Matt and I go to Oxford for the week to work with the director, MD and the actors on the current draft of Buckland.  In order for this to happen we had to assemble the script, words and music.  Matt has a programme that should enable him to move staves and words about at will but it is so complicated that he hasn't mastered it yet so we sat round the table with a guillotine, scissors, and a pritt stick.  Just like being back at school getting your project ready to hand in, Cat said.
We now have a script with the music integrated into the text and already I think I can start to hear bits of it.  Matt kept playing and replaying the recordings of the songs so that we could get the dialogue pasted in above the correct bars every now and then I got a sense of what it might sound like with real singers.  Lets hope the reality stands up to the expectation.  All we have to do is remember we have a year left and we're not working on the finished piece we're exploring ideas.
Got two contracts from the BBC this week for the adaptation of My Name is Stephen Luckwell. One for me to give my permission for the adaptation, the other to accept the commission to adapt it.  Earlier this week when I was in Peterborough to see her production of Our Nobby I asked Kate Hall, who directed Stephen what she thought of my new radio ending.  She is so much a part of it that I needed her approval and I got it.  So if it doesn't have the requisite amount of 'jeopardy' for a Radio 4 afternoon play I shall feel able to fight for it.
One week to think about Plymouth and work out a structure for transferring Workhouse Christmas to the Peterborough museum and then it's heads down for a week on Buckland... with all fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment