Saturday 9 October 2010

Giants in the Earth

Back home after a week in Oxford working on the Buckland musical with seven brilliant singers and an amazing MD who doesn't seem to have the same need for sleep as the rest of the world.  I watched them do it but I still don't really know how they managed to learn the music, make sense of the script, and all the rewrites and produce a coherent exciting performance in three and a half days.
As I expected the main lesson of the week was cut, cut, cut. Matt and I felt that by the end we have a structure that we can build on.  Now we have week away from it and then we meet again with Karen Simpson, the director, to discuss where we go from here.
It was a pressure having to produce a performance for an audience in such a short time but we did discover that a musical about searching for dinosaurs and fossils in the 19th century might sound a bit odd but it works, it's exciting and those who were there want to see more.
Onward and upward... with a year to go!  I don't usually move from my usual position of positive pessimism, but, I think, we may, just about, if we're lucky, get it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment