Thursday 15 July 2010

Pitching

I went down to London to talk about the commission with the Drum on Tuesday.  I don't find any kind of pitching easy and this wasn't easy at all.  Not because of any lack of sympathy from David who sat patiently through my disjointed ramblings, but because I'd convinced myself that I wanted to go with one idea and as I started to explain it began to unravel in front of me and I realised that what I really wanted to do was something else entirely. That's why they're giving me time to think.  But I have felt under pressure - self induced - to try and come up with a killer idea, and that is a really stupid thing to do. Now having gone through that process with David I feel much freer and the other idea which interested him immediately - when I tried to elaborate after my first sentence he shut me up, which was very clever, and told me to not say any more but go away and think about it which stopped me destroying its potential on the spot - is gently establishing itself in my head.  My task now is to write up the ideas I presented, there were three in all, and send them to him.  So I've started with the one I now like least that I did like the most just to make sure I haven't missed a trick.  Then I'll work on the one I do like which is tugging at my sleeve waiting for me to start writing a first draft. 
Then it's down to the Post Office with a handful of copies of the We Didn't Mean to go to Sea playscript - published by aurorametro and available from amazon and all good booksellers - for those who might be interested.  You never know your luck

No comments:

Post a Comment